A 5 week Parrot watching trip to Brazil which can be taken as just one part, several parts or the whole MEGA trip.
We have a chance of seeing up to 52 Parrot species plus some sub-species including 10 Macaw species.
After meeting at the hotel in Rio de Janeiro we set out on our amazing adventure across Brazil going to the Pantanal, Amazon, North-east, Atlantic Rainforest and many places inbetween.
1) Nobres - 2 nights - Lagoa das Araras ( Macaw Lake) where we see Blue & yellow and Red-shouldered Macaws.
2) Alta Floresta - 1 night - On our way in or out of the Amazon we have to spend one night here but it is not just a hotel stop-over there are lots of Parrots around the hotel and an active nest site for Harpy Eagles in the forest at the back of the hotel.
3) Rio Azul - 4 nights - Into the Amazon for Scarlet and Red-bellied Macaws as well as Crimson-bellied and Madeira Conures, Kawall's Amazon and the seldom heard of Bald Parrot.
4) Aguape Lodge - 3 nights - The Pantanal is always an amazing place whenever you go and this will be no exception as we watch the Hyacinth and Yellow-collared Macaws and the amazing Blaze-winged Conures.
5) Xaraes Lodge - 3 nights - Still in the Pantanal but closer to the Bolivian border with more Hyacinth Macaws and where Green-cheeked Conures replace the Blaze-wings.
6) Bonito - 2 nights - staying in a tourist town is not usually my thing but this gives us access to the local Buraco das Araras (Macaw hole) where we watch the Green-winged Macaws fly, perch and feed, below us in this huge collapsed cave which now forms a safe haven for these Macaws.
7) Brasilia - 3 nights - From here we go north into Goais State looking for Pfrimer's Conures and Yellow-faced Parrots.
8) Linhares - 3 nights - Across to the estern Atlantic Rainforest now for White-eared and Blue-throated Conures along with Reichenowi's Parrot and Red-browed Amazon.
9) Petrolina to Tamarande - 9 nights - Lear's and Blue-winged (Illiger's) Macaws as well as Jandaya Conures are the highlights here. Also we take a visit to the area where the Spix's Macaws are soon to be released back into the wild - sorry no Spix's Macaws yet but watch out for future trips.
10) Itacare - 2 nights - The Golden-tailed Parrotlet is the main attraction here, a seldom seen Parrot but I know just the place to go.
11) REGUA 3 nights - An amazing reserve just north of Rio de Janeiro in the Atlantic Rainforest is the final destination where we can see Maroon-bellied Conures, Plain Parakeets, Blue-winged Parrotlets and hopefully Pileated and Blue-bellied Parrots.
There are lots more Parrots at each of the destinations and some will be duplicated but they are sometimes better seen at one place over another but this gives us chances to see as many Parrots as possible if we do miss any at one particular place besides nothing wrong with seeing some again.
Throughout the trip we will see numerous other Birds and Wildlife in particular Monkeys, Deer, Giant Anteaters, Giant Otters and sometimes Jaguars however they can be elusive, but you never know what is around the next corner or tree.
Will you be one of the exclusive group that joins me for a real trip of a lifetime!!