A 5 week Parrot watching trip to Brazil which can be taken as just one part, several parts or the whole MEGA trip.
We have a chance of seeing up to 50 Parrot species plus some sub-species including 10 Macaw species. Highlights will always be the Macaws especially Lear's and Hyacinths but we will see so many more parrots and many other birds and lots more wildlife
After meeting at the hotel in Rio de Janeiro we set out on our amazing adventure across Brazil going to the Pantanal, Amazon, North-east, Atlantic Rainforest and many places inbetween.
1) Nobres - 2 nights - Lagoa das Araras ( Macaw Lake) where we see Blue & yellow and Red-shouldered Macaws.
Nobres can be taken as a pre-tour for the Amazon part of the trip
2) Alta Floresta - 1 night - On our way in or out of the Amazon we have to spend one night here but it is not just a hotel stop-over there are lots of Parrots around the hotel.
Alta Floresta must be taken with Rio Azul as part of this trip
3) Rio Azul - 4 nights - Into the Amazon for Scarlet and Red-bellied Macaws as well as Crimson-bellied and Madeira Conures, Kawall's Amazon and the seldom heard of Bald Parrot.
Rio Azul and Alta Floresta must be taken together as part of the trip.
4) Aguape Lodge - 3 nights - The Pantanal is always an amazing place whenever you go and this will be no exception as we watch the Hyacinth and Yellow-collared Macaws and the amazing Blaze-winged Conures.
Aguape Lodge must be taken with Xaraes Lodge and Buraco das Araras as part of this trip.
5) Xaraes Lodge - 3 nights - Still in the Pantanal but closer to the Bolivian border with more Hyacinth Macaws and where Green-cheeked Conures replace the Blaze-wings.
Xaraes Lodge must be taken with Aguape Lodge and Buraco das Araras as part of this trip.
6) Buraco das Araras, Bonito - 2 nights - Staying in a tourist town is not usually my thing but this gives us access to the local Buraco das Araras (Macaw hole) where we watch the Green-winged Macaws fly, perch and feed below us in this huge collapsed cave which now forms a safe haven for these Macaws. A little bit of time to enjoy some snorkelling in the local Rio Prata where there are numerous fish species.
Buraco das Araras must be taken with Aguape Lodge and Xaraes Lodge as part of this trip.
7) Brasilia - 3 nights - From here we go north into Goais State looking for Pfrimer's Conures and Yellow-faced Parrots.
Brasilia can be taken as an extension tour after Aguape and Xaraes Lodges as well as Buraco das Araras or can be taken as a separate trip with Linhares.
8) Linhares - 3 nights - Across to the eastern Atlantic Rainforest now for White-eared and Blue-throated Conures along with Reichenowi's Parrot and Red-browed Amazon.
Linhares can be taken as a trip with Brasilia or a pre-tour trip with Salvador to Tamarande
9) Salvador to Tamarande - 9 nights - Lear's and Blue-winged (Illiger's) Macaws as well as Jandaya Conures are the highlights here but there is so much more.
Salvador to Tamarande can be taken as a stand alone trip or can be linked with Brasilia and Linhares as pre-tour trips and/or REGUA as a post-tour trip.
10) REGUA - 5 nights - An amazing reserve just north of Rio de Janeiro in the Atlantic Rainforest is the final destination where we can see Maroon-bellied Conures, Plain Parakeets, Blue-winged Parrotlets and hopefully Pileated and Blue-bellied Parrots.
REGUA can be taken as a stand alone trip or with Salvador to Tamarande.
There are lots more Parrots at each of the destinations and some will be duplicated but they are sometimes better seen at one place over another. This gives us chances to see as many Parrots as possible if we do miss any at one particular place besides nothing wrong with seeing some again.
Throughout the trip we will see numerous other Birds and Wildlife in particular Monkeys, Deer, Giant Anteaters, Giant Otters and sometimes Jaguars however they can be elusive, but you never know what is around the next corner or tree.
Will you be one of the exclusive group that joins me for a real trip of a lifetime!!
Any of the trips in Brazil can have extra tours arranged for individuals or couples to visit one or more of the tourist areas of Brazil such as Corcovado (Christ the Redeemer Statue) or Sugar Loaf Mountain, Rio de Janeiro or Iguassu Falls for the waterfalls or bird park or any other place you would like to visit. I will not be going to these places with you but I can arrange everything. Just let me know what you would like to do.